Finally, the update.....

Friday, September 12, 2008

I began homeschooling my kids this year. There have been trying days and there have been awesome days. I feel like I am really getting to know my kids. We are still adjusting, but so far it has been worth it. I struggle with some personal issues, as in what people think of me, but I'm determined and I truly feel led by God. I want my kids to do better than they were doing in public school. It's like the "ultimate" test, for me and them. I also feel like I have a purpose. For so many years, I've gotten lost within the family. I can't just lay around and feel sorry for myself. I wish I could explain what I'm feeling. I would often just "work" towards getting my kids to public school where I could just lay around and do my thing. I can't do that. I need to be a role model for my kids. They need structure. I need structure. It truly is a good thing.

In the process of deciding to homeschool, my dh thought I should have a more dependable "ride" for fieldtrips and such. We got our first minivan, a 2008 Toyota Sienna. I absolutely love it. I love driving it. It does make things a tad more financially straining, but my car was on its last legs. Plus, with my grandmother living with us too, we can finally go to church in one vehicle.

Ok, now the hard part. The scale. It was SO gross a few mornings ago. I managed (very easily might I add) to reach 308.6 lbs and yet, I do nothing. My middle son (8 years old) has my unfortunate genes. He weighed on the scale the other day at 106 lbs. :( In the last few days, he has been "watching" what he eats. I don't want to make it hard for him, but I am constantly helping him make better choices (you know, "do as I say, not as I do"). He has been doing so well. He actually weighed 106 lbs at a night time weigh. The next morning it was down to 104 lbs. I didn't make a big deal about it to him (as in, I didn't tell him that usually you weigh more in the evening than you do in the a.m.), but he was SO proud of that 2 lb loss. I told him that we will weigh again Monday, but that he doesn't really need to weigh every day. This all came after this past Sunday when he couldn't fit into any of his Sunday pants. My dh said, "the solution is NOT to buy bigger clothes." :( It hurt (because I know where my son is coming from), but I know my dh is right. The same goes for

me. My child may be my saving grace.

My dh is in Colorodo on a hunting trip. I sure do miss him. He rode in an airplane for the first time in his life. He always said he would never get on a plane. Well, he finally did and he LOVES flying. He said I may love it too. lol I may get that Hawaii vacation one day afterall. ;) Sunday will be our 17th wedding anniversary. At 19 yrs old, we were just babies. I can't believe I've been with him nearly 1/2 of my life.

Well that is my update for now.

Blessings!

2 comments:

JC said...

Great looking family, I can't HOME SCHOOLING!! You are one brave woman. God bless you. I agree with the concept but I wouldn't be smart enough to do it nor would I keep my sanity. So glad you came by for a visit. Helping your son will help you more than words can say. Maybe you can work nutrition into your studies with them. Great looking ride. Yes, you will love flying. The airport part not so much. Hawaii, been there and would live there if I could. Grace and blessings to you.

Felicia said...

Followed your link over from Lisa's blog and thought I would say Howdee doo and wish you a great week!!

We have a lot in common. We are a homeschooling family and I used to weigh over 300lbs ( ok actually over 400lbs lol but whose counting right?). Oh and I have an 8 year old boy ( he just turned 8 last week).

Anyways wanted to say hello.

*huggles*
=0)